Some Helpful Hints:
1. There is no rule that says you have to march out and go after your enemy. If you have a good position hold it, your battle report will likely not end up in White Dwarf anyway.
2. Try spreading out your elite units, use you general and BSB to boost your basic units, let your killers go out and kill. You can also use them as 'panic breakers' simply line up your elite(r) units every other unit, so that panic will have a more difficult path to take to spread panic to your entire army. Placing characters in basic units will make them more of a panic breaker if you lack in elite units.
3. Don't fight the nature of your army. If it is good at something use it.
4. It is difficult to mess up a simple plan.
5a. Keep up to date on enemy army books, know what they can and can't do.
5b. Don't be afraid to call B.S. If someone calls B.S. on you change whatever it is, If one person says it that means many are thinking it, if several people say it that means everyone is thinking it.
6. Don't be a one trick pony. Everyone loves the zoomygod unit that can roll anything, but if that unit, character hits a snag your whole gameplan is shot. try taking several good units instead, break up the zoomygodyness into several chunks, this gives you more options and people are more likely to enjoy playing against you.
7. There will never be one answer to every question, some questions will never have an answer.