Friday, August 14, 2015

What's on my table (Paratroopers and Dark Angels)

Greetings folks!

Bob here with an update on what is on the old painting table these days. I don't know about the rest of you, but I have a very bad habit of leaving projects unfinished as my mood on what I want to be painting changes (call it hobby ADD if you want). With this in mind I have reshuffled what is in the front rows of the hobby table in an effort to finish some of these (nearly complete in a lot of cases) models in addition to whatever my little mind wants to be painting. So what does all of this mean? Well, in practical terms it means I am working on some Dark Angels that have sat half finished for far too long and some Bolt Action US Paratroopers which have been neglected compared to my Germans.



I decided to repaint some of the pouches and bags on my Paratrooper test model after rewatching Band of Brothers and taking some notes on their uniforms. I went over to the local Hobby Town (my flgs of choice) and picked out a green-gray that I thought would be the closest match for the period material color of bandoliers and such. In the end I chose Model Masters Panzer Olive Green. My order of painting and colors are as follows:

Step 1: Prime the model black

Step 2: Dryad Bark for boots, guns, pistol holsters. Model Color US Field Drab for fatigues and helmet netting. Caliban Green for the helmet. Castellan Green for knee and elbow patches and all bags, bandolier, etc. Leadbelcher for gun barrels. Tallarn Flesh for skin.

Step 3: Apply Panzer Olive Green to bags and pouches. Mournfang Brown on gun stocks, boots, and field knife. Clean up for shading.

Step 4: Wash everything except Olive Green and gunmetal with Agrax Earthshade. Wash Olive Green with Nuln Oil.

Step 5: Drybrush/highlight raised areas with appropriate base colors. Clean up as needed and voila!

Simple yet effective in my opinion. This isn't a time consuming color scheme yet it produces a nice, post jump look for Paratroopers. I plan on hitting these guys with a dull coat to knock down the gloss and seal on the paint. Flocking will happen at some point....




Dark Angels wise I am finishing my Sacred Standard bearer as well as a Tactical Marine and two Deathwing Knights.



I bought the new Dark Angels decal sheet from GW a while back and I wanted to use one of their standards. I decided to try out Micro Sol and Micro Set to see how they handled getting the damn thing to stick and lay flat to an uneven surface. Sure enough, the banner went on without a problem and adhered nearly seamlessly to the plastic banner surface. Call me a believer in the virtues of the Micro Sol and Set system. The Deathwing Knights are taking a little longer to finish as I am having to fiddle around with all of the details on the models and fix mistakes.  Here are some WIP shots of the boys from the Rock.




Cheers and happy gaming, folks!    

3 comments:

  1. Looking good Bob! I too have been playing around with Mircosol & Microset, and man, call me a believer too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah,I am totally convinced of the efficacy of the Micro Sol/Set system. Won't be doing any transfers from now on without using it.

      Delete
  2. Looking good Bob! I too have been playing around with Mircosol & Microset, and man, call me a believer too!

    ReplyDelete